[Pw_forum] 'relax' and 'scf'

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Thu Dec 30 22:14:58 CET 2004

Dear Roberto: a "relax" calculation implies the calculation of the
forces acting on each atoms for many different geometries. Forces are
calculated using the Hellmann-Feynman theorem which is based on the
assumption that the total energies satisfy a variational principle (in
the present case, the Hohenberg-Kohn-Sham principle). Of course, in
order for the energy to be variational, the Kohn-Sham orbitals have to
be self-consistent *for each individual geometry*. There would be no
point, of course, in calculating separately the SCF ground state only
for one of them (the first).

Structure optimization based on some variant of the Car-Parrinello
method (in which electronic and ionic degrees of freedom are treated on
a same footing) may require a pre-optimization of the electronic
structure for the first geometry, but this would not be a sensible
procedure when moving the ionic degrees of freedom on the
Born-Oppenheimer surface. Hence, Paolo's answer.

Hope this helps.
Stefano