[Pw_forum] occupation problem when system changes from insulator to metal

sbraccia carlo sbraccia at sissa.it
Tue Dec 14 10:50:16 CET 2004

Dear W. YU,

if the system you are considering is an insulator (did you heck it ?)
and if the smearing is small enough the two results should be equal (if
not, send me all the input and output files).

If the system is a metal you cannot use fixed occupations. You must use
either tetrahedra or the smearing. In both cases you have to monitor the
convergence of your results as a function of the number of k-points (and
of the smearing parameter "degauss") to be sure that they are accurate
enough.

carlo