[Pw_forum] occupation problem when system changes from insulator to metal

sbraccia carlo sbraccia at sissa.it
Tue Dec 14 08:03:38 CET 2004

Dear W. YU,

the smearing technique can be used also with insulators.

Indeed this is the correct thing to do whenever you are not sure that
your system has a gap. For example, in the case of a structural
relaxation, even if you know that the converged structure is an
insulator, you generally ignore what is the electronic structure of the
starting and of all the intermediate configurations. In this case the
safest thing to do is to use a small smearing: if the system results to
be an insulator the smearing will be in the gap and it will not affect
the total energy (provided that degauss is much smaller than the band gap).

The same idea applies to any kind of dynamics (standard molecular
dynamics and variable cell dynamics included).

The drawback of the smearing technique is that the number of bands is
20% larger than in the case of fixed occupation but, in general, this
overload is worth.

carlo