[Pw_forum] Bader analysis, part II

Steven Kirk Steven.Kirk at htu.se
Wed Oct 1 22:27:14 CEST 2003

Hello all,

Firstly, thank you for your responses to my previous enquiry regarding
Bader analysis of the results produced by PWSCF.

I am strongly considering writing some code to add this capability to,
for example, the PP program from PWSCF. I am primarily interested in
point properties rather than integration over atomic basins: finding the
critical points and bond paths would be a good start, together with the
values of the charge density, Laplacian etc. at these points.
Implementing basin definition and integration is a much more demanding
task !

In order to find, for example, the bond critical points (BCPs), one
could assume a starting point halfway between 2 neighbouring atoms, then
evaluate grad(rho) (the gradient of the charge density) at this point,
and take small steps 'downhill' to exactly locate the BCP (where
grad(rho) =0 ). This can be done using Newton-Raphson in 3D - I once
implemented this in another code - you need to extract the Hessian
matrix of the charge density.

If the wave function is represented by plane waves of the form exp(
ikx), then weighting each of the plane waves with ik should allow one to
extract grad(rho), and weighting with -k^2 should allow one to evaluate
the Laplacian, at an arbitrary location x. Using plane waves has
advantages over relatively crude 3D interpolations of gridded data in
this case.

A good starting point, then, would be the ability to specify two atoms,
find the BCP (if any) that exists between them, and extract the charge
density and the Laplacian at the BCP. The bond path (the path linking
the two atoms along which the charge density is maximal relative on any
neigbouring path) would also be useful - sometimes these are *not* the
expected straight lines !

I would be very grateful if any of the participants on this list or the
developers can point me to an appropriate location in the code where it
would be possible to 'splice in' this capability.

Many thanks in advance for any feedback on this topic,

Regards,
Steve Kirk