[Pw_forum] A little question about total energy

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Sat May 17 19:25:49 CEST 2003

To add to this - when you have a broadening the PWSCF
total energy is what others call the total free energy F=E-TS.

E.g., if you choose a Fermi-Dirac broadening, the PWSCF
total energy is really the Mermin-Kohn-Sham free energy.

Last, if you are studying isolated atoms, but still use a
broadening, you have an entropy S different from zero if there
are degeneracies giving rise to fractional occupation numbers.
So, you might want to remove the -TS (the correction for metals),
and also make sure your results are converged in the limit of
small T (i.e. small broadening temperatures).

Best,

			nicola marzari