[Pw_forum] Electron-phonon coupling

Malgorzata Wierzbowska wierzbom at tcd.ie
Fri Mar 28 20:07:48 CET 2003

Dear Ma Yanming,

Find some of my results and look to attached files with Eliashberg function
calculated for Nb with norm conserving PP (KB) and ultrasoft (US).
Experimental total lambda is 1.04 or 1.22 (from refs in S.Y. Savrasov
PRB, vol 54, p. 16487 (1996)), calculated by Savrasov 1.26.

As you can see from attached files KB PP behaves correctly
but US gives too big total lambda. The reason is because
Eliashberg function, in case of US, doesn't fall down to zero for small
frequencies. Small frequencies are for phonon vectors close to Gamma point.
However for first sight we calculate different quantities we still can
make common
conclusions. You integrate only over k, leaving q-dependence (phonon).
I integrate over both k and q points, but with frequncy resolution (I
see the relations
between q-points and frequencies.).

The answer for the question whether you can just throw points is NO! It
is not so easy,
but we will get there. What I suggest is:
If you could write a file with q-points you calculated and corresponding
frequencies
and corresponding calculated el-ph couplings. And if you could send me
refs. to experimental
values which you refer. Maybe we will see that one needs to work a bit
more on generation of PP.
Especially concentrating attention to get gamma point very close to zero.

I am satisfied with the KB PP attached here (format for old version of
PWscf). And I was still
working on getting US PP better. But now I don't have enough computer
power to continue
because I lost an account in my previous place and here I work on a
different project.
Maybe you can generate better pseudos. If you decide to do this for US
PP, there is a parameter
called "rinner" in Vanderbilt's input. Phonons at gamma point are very
sensitive on that.

Good luck!
Gosia