[Pw_forum] Pt bulk phonon calculated by PWSCF 1.2.0

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 26 00:47:16 CET 2003

Dear Sampyo,

our experience with Ag(111) slabs was that:

1) you should play it really safe with the number of bands - make
sure that at every k-point the higher electronic eigenvalue is above
the Fermi energy by at least 3 times the smearing (do translate
degauss from Ry to eV)

2) you need tight tolerances both in the SCF calculation and
in the phonon calculation. We used 10^-17 in the SCF (might be overkill,
but I woudln't go much lower), and 10^-14 / 10^-15 in the phonons.
Remarkably, 10^-12 in the phonons was not tight enough for the slab
calculations (I wish we had realized this earlier).

3) be conservative with the vacuum. We now use a little over
9 Angstrom - the scf and phonon runs (v 1.1.2) converge with much
less effort than using larger separations.

4) use inversion symmetry whenever possible - it kills
several "sloshing" modes and makes selfconsistency faster
(v 1.1.2).

5) use ngauss=-1 :-)

All the best,

				nicola