[Pw_forum] Electron-phonon coupling

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at nest.sns.it
Sat Mar 22 22:25:18 CET 2003

Hi Yanming

> To test the performance in several high symmetry q points, I still got
> the results for phonon linewidth far away  from the experimental data,
> despite I obtained the good results for phonon.

there can be 1001 reasons why your calculation does not reproduce
experimental results. First of all: don't assume that DFT calculations
always reproduce experimental results! Are your results converged
wrt k-points, broadening, etc., or not? Can you reproduce other
theoretical results for the same systems, if available, for other or
simpler systems, if not ? There are a few calculations of e-ph
coefficients in the literature for simple metals. Have your PP's
anything special? If they are ultrasoft, see the message from
Malgorzata.

All I can guarantee about electron-phonon interaction coefficients
in PWscf is that they give good-looking results in Al under pressure
and in MgB2. It is not (yet) a heavily tested part of the code.

Paolo
Paolo Giannozzi             e-mail:  giannozz at nest.sns.it
Scuola Normale Superiore    Phone:   +39/050509412
Piazza dei Cavalieri 7      Fax:     +39/050509417, 050563513
I-56126 Pisa, Italy         Office:  Lab. NEST, Via della Faggiola 19