[Pw_forum] Trouble in phonon calculation

Hong, SamPyo likedew at phys.ksu.edu
Thu Jul 24 09:39:39 CEST 2003

Dear PWSCF users,
I just want to get advices from your experiences. Now I'm trying to
calculate phonons of a Ni slab.
Only one of the modes won't converge. Number of its iteration is going
beyond 100. Worst of all, even after 100 iterations,  |ddv_scf|^2 is
more than 0.4E+8. The other modes usually converged within 6 or 7
iterations. I don't get any error messages during the phonon
calculation. Could any of you who have experience with phonon
calculation with PWSCF advise me about this trouble? What could be the
reason? Obviously the structure relaxation was done completely for
phonon calculation. The residual forces in the slab are very low.

Just another question: Is there any way to know the frequencies of the
already converged modes in PWSCF? Or is it impossible?

Thanks a lot!

Sampyo