[Pw_forum] problems on Alpha and PC

Guido Roma roma at cea.fr
Mon Feb 24 14:28:43 CET 2003

Paolo Giannozzi wrote:

> Hi
>
> > The run on DEC-Alpha fails with the following error message:
>
> I know nothing - and don't want to know anything - about Alpha
> Dec/Compaq/HP/whatever thay are called now/ machines.
> I know that it was mentioned in this mailing list that some versions
> of the dxml/cxml/whatever they are called now/ libraries are buggy.
> Try to load compiled blas and lapack instead of or before cxml
> (you may still use FFT's from cxml).

Hello,

concerning the problem on DEC/Alpha machines**, I'm not sure that it is
a problem of CXML libraries, or at least not only that; it could be due
to the compiler version, perhaps coupled to the operating system
version.

I have the copper example running with correct results on a machine
(let's call it machine1) running CXML version 5.2 (XMDLIB6520) and f90
version 5.5 (DFABASE551).

On another machine (machine2), were I have an old version, f90 5.3  and
CXML 3.6, it compiles but the copper example stops with floating
invalid. If I link to the (static) library file of CXML 5.2 (which I
copied from machine1) the problem is still there. The executable
produced on machine1 doesn't work on machine2 (unresolved symbol:
for_check_mult_overflow64).
The executable produced on machine2 runs on machine1, but still stops
for floating invalid.

Both processors are of the ev6 family.
The operating system version is not the same (machine1 runs Tru64 V5.1
732, machine2 runs Tru64 V4.0 1229).

Hope this will give some hints,

Guido

** I'm talking of machines running Tru64, I don't know anything about
those running linux.

--
Guido Roma <roma at cea.fr> -- CEA-Saclay - DEN/DMN/SRMP Bat.520/130
Phone: [+33]-1-69085738 -- Fax: ...6867 -- Mobile: [+33]-6-20069085