[Pw_forum] setup error

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Fri Aug 8 09:22:33 CEST 2003

As the error message states, the system is a metal since nelec=3 is odd
and it is not possible to use fixed occupations (that is to fully occupy
the lowest nelec/2 bands).
You should provide information on how you want to treat Fermi energy
crossings.

occupations='smearing' or 'tethrahedra' are possible choices,
occupations='fixed' can only be applied to insulators with a gap.

If you choose the smearing option you need to provide also (in the
&SYSTEM namelist)
1) the smearing type:
smearing='gaussian','methfessel-paxton','marzari-vanderbilt', of
'fermi-dirac'
2) the smearing width: degauss= xx in Rydberg energy units.
If you choose the tetrahedra option you need to use automatically
generated uniform k-point grids.

Please read information in file pwdocs/INPUT_PW regarding these variables.

Stefano de Gironcoli