[Pw_forum] negative densities

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Thu Apr 3 11:50:21 CEST 2003

When using US pseudopotentials negative densities can appears because
the cutoff used is not sufficient to include all relevant Fourier component
of the augmentation charges.
When this happens the augmentation charge do not decays with an
exponential tail as one expect but has an oscillating tail that does not
decay.
If your system has "empty" regions where no other electron penetrates
significantly then this oscillatin g tail could be the only contribution
to the
charge density and this could therefore result to be negative.

This is your case: a single iron atom in a rather open structure
Other systems where this happens are isolated atoms, molecules in a box,
slabs
simulating surfaces and similar. In bulk metallic systems this problem
should
not appear or involve only a minority of sites.

After all, this negative points should not be harmful. They appear in
regions
ofmotherwise very low density that contribute very little to the total
energy
and other properties. But it is annoying to see them.

The solution should be to increase the cutoff (or at least the cutoff
for the
density ecutrho). It seems that this does not improve in your case but
probably you need a larger value of ecutrho/ecutwfc.
One more thing to look at would be the lowest value of the negative charge.
It could be that the fraction of negative points does not decrease (because
the tail is still oscillating) but they are approaching zero. This would be
a signal that things are improving after all. You need to edit
PW/v_of_rho.f90
in order to compute and output this information but should be easy.

Stefano dce Gironcoli