[Pw_forum] speedup of md simulation

HW Sheng hwsheng at jhu.edu
Fri Dec 13 06:59:12 CET 2002

Hi, Dear All.

I am new to pwscf, and would greatly appreciate your help.

I installed pwscf on my Linux/alpha cluster (10 dual processors), which employs LAM/MPI. I am trying to run molecular dynamics simulations as shown in example4. I found that the speedup is only a factor of 2, which is basically unacceptable.  So, I want to know:
(1) does this occur to you as well?
(2) is this due to the fact that the code is not optimally parallelized or that the LAM/MPI is not well configured? How can I get a workaround?

Thank you in advance.

Howard

PS: When I do k-point scf calculation, the speedup is acceptable, around a factor of 5 or so.