[Q-e-developers] potentially unnecessary initial computation of sc

Paolo Giannozzi paolo.giannozzi at uniud.it
Tue Jan 21 09:36:12 CET 2014

On Mon, 2014-01-20 at 14:13 -0600, Maxwell Hutchinson wrote:

> In the initialization part of the Davidson solver, cegterg, sc is
> computed from evc with a zgemm and mp_sum.  evc should be coming into
> cegterg already orthonormalized, so this should be unnecessary.  Are
> there cases where this is not true?

if you have ultrasoft pseudopotentials or PAW, wavefunctions (evc) are
not orthonormal. Since the S matrix is not saved from the previous
self-consistency step, it has to be recalculated in any case. For
norm-conserving PP's, this should not be needed, but the way it is
implemented now guarantees that the routine works (or doesn't fail)
even if input wavefunctions are not normalized. I suspect that this
is actually used in Molecular Dynamics run, when wavefunctions are
extrapolated: ther eis no guarantee that they are orthonormal.

P.

> Unless very little refinement is necessary, this won't affect
> performance much.  It's shorter, though.  See:
> https://github.com/maxhutch/quantum-espresso/commit/69f5c2dba36945a9d0ed3f8ece5e8a768f1316a2
>

> Thanks,
> Max

 Paolo Giannozzi, Dept. Chemistry&Physics&Environment,